Sunday, June 20, 2010

Church for Real Men

I've been promted to re-start my blogging by an email I just got -- someone forwarded a link to an Observer article about "Ultimate Man Sunday" at a local church. (Today was Father's Day, you know. In case you, or God, forgot.) What a great idea -- and why didn't we think of that!? Instead of a warm, friendly welcome in the narthex, and an invitation to spend a few quiet minutes preparing to worship God together, we could have offered cigars and turkey legs in the narthex, and put in a big screen TV above the mantel, showing sports clips to help the men really prepare to meet God -- in a sermon chock-full of sports illustrations and all male heroes, I'm sure -- and maybe a NASCAR-themed centerpiece on the communion table to boot.

Call me a sissy, guys, but if this is what it takes to grow a church (and maybe it is... noticing the numbers in our sanctuary lately, compared to the reports of some of our competitors who are packing their pews)... I'll have to settle for being the pastor of "Pretty Woman's Church" instead.

I just don't get it. Really. What is it that people don't understand about the difference in worship... and unadulterated entertainment? You know, if it takes buying a church humidor and grilling turkey legs in the narthex fireplace to get guys to come, then maybe (just humor me a bit here, guys), maybe they're coming for the wrong reason! And if sports and cigars and big hunks of smoked meat is what brings you -- maybe it really isn't Church you will find when you get there. (Crazy theory, I know... but it just seems to me that God might actually appreciate it if we really came to church just FOR GOD'S SAKE... not for all the same freebies they hand out at local sports bar.)

You know, I might be able to make an argument that I'm a real man, too, if I tried really hard... There's my pickup truck... The Harley... The shop full of well-used power tools... The radio presets for Country and Classic Rock... Waterskiing on my hands at 36 mph... (sorry, you'll have to see the picture in Amy's office for proof!) But if thoughtful, well-crafted worship, minus the gimicks and all the smoke and mirrors, makes me a "girly man," then pass the pink paint for my Sporter. I'm sure the rest of the girls will love it.

Yes, I'm concerned about our worship numbers... our budget numbers... our growth numbers. (But more than the concern is the excitement I have about the church I'm honored to serve.) But if that's what it takes to get men to come to church, then I'll be worshiping with the girls, and the other wimpy guys who don't need a Monster Truck in the parking lot to attract them.

Apparently I won't be the pastor of a mega-church anytime soon. And I'm obviously not a real man.

Suits me fine.

r

2 comments:

  1. Russ, I'm glad that you have no ambitions to lead a mega church!!!! I'd probably have to seek worship elsewhere!!
    I recently had a discussion with a lady about Elevation church and she was so enthusiastic about the "worship service"---big screen, posters/signs around, praise bands, etc. When I asked how one gets the mind ready to worship God with all the whoopla going on, she couldn't give me a satisfactory answer other than, "You just do". May I never have to,"just do"
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Russ,
    You and Jesus are the realist men I know.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete